Seeking Family-Friendly Hiking Trails Near Kathmandu: Recommendations and Tips, Please!

Greetings, fellow travelers! I hope this message finds you well. As a newcomer to Nepal and an avid nature lover, I've fallen head over heels for this stunning country and its warm-hearted people. Having had the incredible experience of exploring Lower Mustang on a jeep a couple of months ago, I am now eagerly seeking your guidance for some fantastic hiking trails near Kathmandu.

With only a few months left in my year-long stay, I'm excited to embark on short hiking adventures during the weekends with my two lovely children, aged 12 and 15. While I'm a beginner in the world of trekking, I'm keen on experiencing the wonders of nature up close and personal. Therefore, I'm looking for hiking trails near Kathmandu that can be completed within a day and are suitable for children, without being overly challenging.

If you could kindly assist me in identifying the nearest hiking points from Kathmandu valley, along with any vital information I should know before embarking on these excursions, it would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, as I sometimes plan outings with my colleagues from the office, I would also love to hear about hiking areas that offer a delightful experience for groups.

Thank you in advance for your assistance! Your insights and recommendations will undoubtedly help us create unforgettable memories amidst Nepal's breathtaking landscapes.

Warm regards,
Thomas Green,
Currently living in Sundhara, Patan

Sujan

Dear Thomas Green,

Greetings and a warm welcome to Nepal! It brings me great joy to hear about your love for nature and your eagerness to explore the magnificent hiking trails near Kathmandu. I'm here to assist you in discovering some incredible hiking spots that are perfect for both your children and group outings.

Nagarkot, situated near Kathmandu, is one of the closest and most popular hiking destinations. On clear days, it offers awe-inspiring panoramic views of the Himalayas, including the majestic Mount Everest. The hike from Sankhu to Nagarkot is a scenic route that can be completed within a day. It is relatively easy and suitable for beginners and children, allowing you to soak in the charm of quaint villages, lush forests, and terraced fields along the way.

Another fantastic option is Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park, located just north of Kathmandu. This park boasts a variety of hiking trails, catering to different levels of difficulty and durations. The trail leading to Nagi Gompa, a serene Buddhist monastery nestled within the park, is a popular choice. It offers breathtaking views of Kathmandu Valley and the surrounding hills. The trails are well-marked, and the park authorities provide essential information and permits at the entrance.

For a delightful group experience, I recommend Chandragiri Hills, situated on the outskirts of Kathmandu. Here, you can enjoy a cable car ride followed by a short hike to the hilltop. The reward awaits you in the form of breathtaking views of the entire Kathmandu Valley. There are also restaurants and picnic spots where you can unwind and relish the picturesque scenery. It's a perfect destination for a fun outing with your colleagues.

Before embarking on any hiking adventure, it's crucial to be prepared. Ensure you have an ample supply of water, snacks, and sunscreen. Wearing comfortable hiking shoes and dressing in layers is advisable, as the weather can change unexpectedly. Inform someone about your hiking plans and carry a basic first aid kit for added safety.

Lastly, I urge you to honor the local culture and environment during your hikes. Avoid littering and leave only footprints behind. Engage with the local communities you encounter along the way, as they possess a wealth of knowledge and captivating stories to share.

In addition to the aforementioned hiking trails, here are a few more options to consider:
  1. Champadevi Hiking
  2. Pulchoki Hiking
  3. Tarebhir Hiking
  4. Chisapani Hiking
  5. Jamacho Hiking
  6. Kakani Hiking
  7. Namo Buddha Hiking
Remember these important tips during your hiking adventure:
  • Ensure you have a well-stocked first-aid kit, water, energy bars, a flashlight, a knife, and rope.
  • Don't forget insect repellent, sunglasses, comfortable clothing, a lighter, matches, a portable charger, and other necessary toiletries.
  • Show utmost respect for the environment by avoiding littering and responsibly disposing of waste and plastics.
  • Obtain the necessary permits for your hiking excursion.
  • Always carry a detailed local map that covers the trails you'll be following. You can also utilize the useful Maps.me app for hiking trails.
I hope these suggestions enable you to create unforgettable memories and establish a deeper connection with Nepal's remarkable natural wonders. Enjoy your hiking adventures with your children and colleagues, and may the enchanting beauty of Nepal continue to inspire you.
Also there are few facebook groups who

Furthermore, I'd like to inform you that there are several Facebook groups dedicated to organizing weekend hiking trips in Nepal. These groups bring together like-minded hiking enthusiasts who enjoy exploring the outdoors and discovering new trails. By joining these groups, you'll have the opportunity to connect with fellow hikers, exchange valuable tips and information, and even participate in organized group hikes.
One of them is Kathmandu Valley hiking

Wishing you a joyful hiking experience!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Thomas Green,

Greetings and a warm welcome to Nepal! It brings me great joy to hear about your love for nature and your eagerness to explore the magnificent hiking trails near Kathmandu. I'm here to assist you in discovering some incredible hiking spots that are perfect for both your children and group outings.

Nagarkot, situated near Kathmandu, is one of the closest and most popular hiking destinations. On clear days, it offers awe-inspiring panoramic views of the Himalayas, including the majestic Mount Everest. The hike from Sankhu to Nagarkot is a scenic route that can be completed within a day. It is relatively easy and suitable for beginners and children, allowing you to soak in the charm of quaint villages, lush forests, and terraced fields along the way.

Another fantastic option is Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park, located just north of Kathmandu. This park boasts a variety of hiking trails, catering to different levels of difficulty and durations. The trail leading to Nagi Gompa, a serene Buddhist monastery nestled within the park, is a popular choice. It offers breathtaking views of Kathmandu Valley and the surrounding hills. The trails are well-marked, and the park authorities provide essential information and permits at the entrance.

For a delightful group experience, I recommend Chandragiri Hills, situated on the outskirts of Kathmandu. Here, you can enjoy a cable car ride followed by a short hike to the hilltop. The reward awaits you in the form of breathtaking views of the entire Kathmandu Valley. There are also restaurants and picnic spots where you can unwind and relish the picturesque scenery. It's a perfect destination for a fun outing with your colleagues.

Before embarking on any hiking adventure, it's crucial to be prepared. Ensure you have an ample supply of water, snacks, and sunscreen. Wearing comfortable hiking shoes and dressing in layers is advisable, as the weather can change unexpectedly. Inform someone about your hiking plans and carry a basic first aid kit for added safety.

Lastly, I urge you to honor the local culture and environment during your hikes. Avoid littering and leave only footprints behind. Engage with the local communities you encounter along the way, as they possess a wealth of knowledge and captivating stories to share.

In addition to the aforementioned hiking trails, here are a few more options to consider:
  1. Champadevi Hiking
  2. Pulchoki Hiking
  3. Tarebhir Hiking
  4. Chisapani Hiking
  5. Jamacho Hiking
  6. Kakani Hiking
  7. Namo Buddha Hiking
Remember these important tips during your hiking adventure:
  • Ensure you have a well-stocked first-aid kit, water, energy bars, a flashlight, a knife, and rope.
  • Don't forget insect repellent, sunglasses, comfortable clothing, a lighter, matches, a portable charger, and other necessary toiletries.
  • Show utmost respect for the environment by avoiding littering and responsibly disposing of waste and plastics.
  • Obtain the necessary permits for your hiking excursion.
  • Always carry a detailed local map that covers the trails you'll be following. You can also utilize the useful Maps.me app for hiking trails.
I hope these suggestions enable you to create unforgettable memories and establish a deeper connection with Nepal's remarkable natural wonders. Enjoy your hiking adventures with your children and colleagues, and may the enchanting beauty of Nepal continue to inspire you.
Also there are few facebook groups who

Furthermore, I'd like to inform you that there are several Facebook groups dedicated to organizing weekend hiking trips in Nepal. These groups bring together like-minded hiking enthusiasts who enjoy exploring the outdoors and discovering new trails. By joining these groups, you'll have the opportunity to connect with fellow hikers, exchange valuable tips and information, and even participate in organized group hikes.
One of them is Kathmandu Valley hiking

Wishing you a joyful hiking experience!

Thank you.
Thanks Mr. Sujan for your Quick response! this helps a lot!

krmaharjan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's my take on a 2days short trip, Kids can do this as well.
  • Sundarijal - Mulkharka - Chisapani
    (Start 9:00 am - finish 4:00 pm, slow pace)

Next day,
  • Chisapani - Dhapdam - Jhule - Sundarijal
    (6hrs-7hrs walk time, slow pace)

I recently completed this with friends.
Start Point
> Shesh Narayan Temple
> Bajrayogini
> Asurgufa
> Gorakhnath
> Old Dakshinkali Temple​
> Sundol​
> Bhundol​
Attemp: ±12 km​

R

Raj K.

Try this Easy Hiking route.
Danchhi​
Changunarayan​
Trishul Danda​
Telkot​
Pancha Mahalaxmi
Sankhu​

Sujan

Our recent adventure took us to the breathtaking Champadevi peak, starting our journey from the Hatiban Resort. The hike began with refreshing trails, winding through well-kept paths with gentle slopes along the way. After about five hours of hikes, we reached the stunning Bhasmashur Dada, where the views were simply awe-inspiring.

For the more adventurous souls, the trail extends further to Chandragiri, promising an immersive experience amidst nature's wonders. Returning to retrieve our bikes parked at Hatiban Resort, we found this route to be pleasantly manageable compared to the more challenging Shivapuri hike. Families with little ones can still enjoy the beauty of Champadevi by embarking on a shorter trek to the revered Champadevi temple and back, easily completed within three hours from Hatiban Resort.

Here are some delightful snapshots captured during our memorable hiking journey.
PXL_20231021_015234899.jpg
PXL_20231021_021815367.jpg

PXL_20231021_031716890.jpg

PXL_20231021_041028584.jpg

PXL_20231021_042126810.jpg

PXL_20231021_060827531.jpg

PXL_20231021_062537899.jpg

PXL_20231021_070705946.jpg

PXL_20231021_070705946.jpg

PXL_20231021_115654694.jpg

Last edited: